Spore Print: Olive Green
Habitat: Grows in the grass and is common in lawns.
Comments: This very large mushroom is very similar to the delicious Lepiota rachodes (Shaggy Parasol), but differs in that it has green spores instead of white spores and is very toxic! There have been reports of people eating a piece of this mushroom the size of a dime and vomiting many times, sometimes ending up in the hospital as a result of dehydration. This is one mushroom that will probably not kill you, but make you wish you were going to die! Due to the toxicity of this mushroom, it is suggested that all collected species of mushroom be separated and collected in separate containers, especially if you are a beginner and want to eat some of your mushrooms. At the very least, you should separate toxic vs. edible mushrooms (if you can identify them as such). This mushroom is also the number one cause of poisonings in the US, perhaps due to it's similarity to the Shaggy Parasol. Some people say that the Shaggy Parasol has thicker scales on the cap that are more easily removed. However, I have seen sub-species of the Green Spored Parasol that would have fooled me! Some also say that the Green Spored Parasol tends to grow out in the open grass, where the Shaggy Parasol grows under trees in the shade. However, some have said that they have found these two species growing side by side. To the beginner, this could possibly be confused with an Agaricus. Keep in mind that an Agaricus has a brown spore print, never white or green. Never rely on the color of the gills since the gills of the Green Spored Parasol can remain white when nearly mature. The only sure way to tell these two apart is to take a spore print. Since the Shaggy Parasol is one of my favorite edibles, I am always cautious about a possible mistaken identification. Believe it or not, there have been people that have mistakenly eaten this mushroom and have had no ill effects!